The summer in the south of Portugal has long been known as the “crazy season”, where although you can enjoy wonderful long warm days on the beach or by the pool, the population seems to double and everything becomes slightly hectic. During the off-season period however, the Algarve has become a precious retreat with beautiful sun-filled days, moderate temperatures and stress free days.
The winter and spring season have become fantastic months for those looking to get away from busy areas and enjoy wonderfully cooked fresh food, warm walks on the beach and delight in cherry blossom filled fields without having to look at your watch and think about any time consuming traffic. With this in mind, here are a number of ideas on how to make the most of this season in the Algarve:
1. Luxuriate in award winning spas in 5 star hotels like the Conrad Hotel, the Vilalara Thalassa Resort or at the Pine Cliffs Resort. All three offer sublime experiences promoting an enhancement to clients’ well-being, while equally feeling like you have the spa to yourself. Similarly, the Algarve offers a unique spa experience in Caldas de Monchique. The only thermal spring water spa in the south of Portugal offers both an incredibly relaxing and healing journey.
2. Sample some of the best wines in the world in some of the Algarve’s best vineyards. Portugal is known worldwide among sommeliers for bodied, intricate and award winning wines. Interestingly over the years the Algarve has become increasingly popular for a growing offer of local viniculture producing wonderful wines. To make the most of this adventure you can either opt for a private tasting tour, or visit some of the well known vineyards such as Quinta do Vales, Quinta de Mata-Mouros, Quinta dos Santos and Morgado do Quintão.
3. Trekking through nature defying valleys with endless coastal views. In this southern corner there are some amazing journeys that can take you from the beach all the way towards the countryside region. Adventure your way through The Seven Hanging Valleys in Lagoa, or explore the Via Algarviana as you make your way from the Spanish bordering end of the Algarve to the coast kissing cliffs of Sagres. If you are looking tos any around the Quinta do Lago area, the Ludo trail is a fantastic way to admire the Ria Formosa Nature Reserve and find your way to the unique Faro beach.
4. Marvel at the Algarve on two wheels. Just as trekking paths have been created, many of these can also be explored on a bicycle. The Algarve has some great offers on bike rentals or you can even choose to join a bike tour. Simply gear up and get ready to discover this region in a different way, at your own speed and making all the stops necessary, maybe even pack a picnic to take in some fresh air and unobstructed nature.
5. Seeking an adrenaline rush in a wide array of activities. This southern region of Portugal offers some exciting and heart-pumping adventures, from speed defying driving experiences at the Algarve Autodrome, surfing and bodyboard lessons along the coast, paragliding to slowly admire the region landing on the countryside or the beach and skydiving from 10k to 15k altitudes and getting a unique birds-eye view.
6. Golf your way through some of Europe’s best championship golf courses. As a luxury real estate agency in Quinta do Lago, we cannot help but boast about a sport that has become integral to the Golden Triangle. With over 10 golf courses to explore between Vale do Lobo, Quinta do Lago and Vilamoura there is much to keep you challenged in this area alone. If you are looking to venture into other golf courses, perhaps visit Salgados, Monte Rei, Benamor, Palmares or even the Nick Faldo designed golf courses.
With so much to do in the Winter season, this could be the perfect time to look into finding your second or permanent home in this wonderful corner of the earth. We work particularly in the Golden Triangle area, with luxury real estate in Quinta do Lago, Vale do Lobo and Vilamoura and alongside all these tips we would be happy to help you with many more, to make your life in the Algarve an absolute dream.